Emilio Serrano is a lecturer at the Department of Artificial Intelligence of the Technical University of Madrid. He holds a M.Sc. Degree in Computer Science and a Ph.D. degree with European mention and Extraordinary Ph.D. Award in Artificial Intelligence, both from the University of Murcia. He has also been a visiting researcher at the University of Edinburgh (12 months) and at the University of Oxford (4 months). His scientific production includes over 50 publications, highlighting 19 papers in the JCR (10 as leading author, 14 in Q1). In some of his last papers, he studies the use of machine learning and deep learning to enhance social services. He lectures Deep Learning and Data Mining among others; and, he has been principal investigator in two educational innovation projects in Data Science. He has also participated in a number of European and National funding programs such as the FP7 research projects: smartopendata, eurosentiment, and omelette.
My research is focused on the field of Artificial Intelligence. Currently, I am very interested in: machine learning and deep learning; intelligent environments and ambient intelligence; agent based social simulations and multi-agent systems; and, specially, the interaction among these fields to improve our quality life. I take pleasure in using these technologies to solve interesting, complex, interdisciplinary, and difficult problems where the traditional computation techniques are not effective.
During my PhD studies, I worked extensively on the analysis, design and development of interaction methods among agents into an artificial society. The importance of multi-agent systems is that these systems may be used to implement a great variety of complex systems such as cloud computing, the Semantic Web, ambient intelligence, or social simulations.
- European Ph.D. Degree in Computer Science. University of Murcia. 2011. (Extraordinary PhD Award in 2012). Title of the doctoral thesis: “Study And Development Of Methods And Tools For Testing, Validation And Verification Of Multi-Agent Systems.”
- M.Phil. Degree in Information Technologies and Advanced Telematic. University of Murcia. 2007. (Quality award, Ref: MCD2006-00419) Title of thesis: “A platform for data mining in imperfect environments”.
- M.S. Degree in Computer Science Engineering. University of Murcia. 2006. (Honourable Mention for Academic Excellence). Title of final project: “A prototype for modeling a system of cooperative metaheuristics: acquiring knowledge for the study of algorithm-instance problem”. (Level 3 (Máster) of the Spanish Higher Education Qualifications Framework (MECES) and level 7, of the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)).
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science Engineering (Bologna process). University of Murcia. 2012
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science Engineering. University of Murcia. 2007. (Level 2 (Grado) of the Spanish Higher Education Qualifications Framework (MECES) and level 6, of the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)).