Emilio Serrano is a lecturer at the Department of Artificial Intelligence of the Technical University of Madrid (UPM). He obtained the M.Sc. Degree in Computer Science from the University of Murcia (UMU) with an Honourable Mention for Academic Excellence in 2006. He was awarded with the National Research Fellowship (FPU) from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation in 2008. After a stay as a research associate at the University of Edinburgh for 12 months; he received the Ph.D. degree with European mention from the UMU in 2011. Then his thesis received the Extraordinary Ph.D. Award in 2012. Dr. Serrano’s scientific production includes over 50 publications in international conferences and journals, highlighting more than 10 publications in the first quartile of the Journal Citation Report (JCR). He has also participated in a number of European and National funding programmes such as the FP7 research projects: smartopendata, eurosentiment, and omelette. Regarding teaching, he has attended over 20 courses in Education Sciences, lectured 12 different modules at the UMU and at the UPM, and offered seminars for postgraduate students in several colleges.
My research is focused on the field of Artificial Intelligence. Currently, I am very interested in: machine learning and deep learning; intelligent environments and ambient intelligence; agent based social simulations and multi-agent systems; and, specially, the interaction among these fields to improve our quality life. I take pleasure in using these technologies to solve interesting, complex, interdisciplinary, and difficult problems where the traditional computation techniques are not effective.
During my PhD studies, I worked extensively on the analysis, design and development of interaction methods among agents into an artificial society. The importance of multi-agent systems is that these systems may be used to implement a great variety of complex systems such as cloud computing, the Semantic Web, ambient intelligence, or social simulations.
- European Ph.D. Degree in Computer Science. University of Murcia. 2011. (Extraordinary PhD Award in 2012). Title of the doctoral thesis: “Study And Development Of Methods And Tools For Testing, Validation And Verification Of Multi-Agent Systems.”
- M.Phil. Degree in Information Technologies and Advanced Telematic. University of Murcia. 2007. (Quality award, Ref: MCD2006-00419) Title of thesis: “A platform for data mining in imperfect environments”.
- M.S. Degree in Computer Science Engineering. University of Murcia. 2006. (Honourable Mention for Academic Excellence). Title of final project: “A prototype for modeling a system of cooperative metaheuristics: acquiring knowledge for the study of algorithm-instance problem”. (Level 3 (Máster) of the Spanish Higher Education Qualifications Framework (MECES) and level 7, of the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)).
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science Engineering (Bologna process). University of Murcia. 2012
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science Engineering. University of Murcia. 2007. (Level 2 (Grado) of the Spanish Higher Education Qualifications Framework (MECES) and level 6, of the European Qualifications Framework (EQF)).